Skip to content
- 12 February 2013- A Panel Discussion ‘Freedom of Expression- Miles to Go’ was held at Motel Shiraz. The panelists included Dr Kuthiala, VC Makhanlal University of Journalism, Shri Deepak Tiwari, Principal Correspondent of ‘The Week’, renowned writer Ms Vandana Rag and Ms Arpita Seth, a final year student from NLIU. The discussion was made very participative and lively by the moderator RJ Roopak.
- 7 March 2013– On the eve of International Women’s Day the Club paid its glowing tribute to women by screening ‘Freedom Writers’ a 2007 film based on a true story of an idealistic and passionate teacher, was screened at the People’s University auditorium. The film revolves around the real Erin Gruwell, played by Hilary Swank who struggles to integrate her class comprising juveniles from broken homes, fights for resources for them and risks her own marriage as it falls apart in the face of her commitment to the profession.
- 23 & 24 April 2013– Bhopal Shakespeare Fest – The first edition of ‘Shakespeareana’ was organized to celebrate the world’s greatest playwright, William Shakespeare’s 449th birth anniversary. On the first day Prof Surjit Hans from Chandigarh, who has translated plays and other works of Shakespeare in Punjabi, was the guest speaker. The talk show was followed by showcasing of Shakespeare’s famous characters by school and college students. A couple of popular scenes from The Merchant of Venice and Romeo and Juliet were also enacted
- 31 July 2013 Premchand Jayanti –The Club celebrated Upanyas samrat’s birth anniversary through screening of snippets from televised stories, enactment of the popular story ‘Idgah’ and a panel discussion State Museum auditorium. The panel discussion- ‘Premchand se Samvad’ had eminent Dhruv Shukla, Udayan Bajpai and Sangeeta Gundecha as panelists. The Club also held inter school short story writing competition in which a large number of students participated. The play ‘Idgah’ was staged by the students of class 5, 6 & 7 of Delhi Public School. A poster exhibition showcasing Premchand’s life and works was also put up at the venue.
- 16 November 2013– Book Reading of Americanah by Anshu Vaish, retired Secretary, Govt of India, outlined the theme of the book authored by African-American woman writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The participants underlined the existence of social prejudices in different forms everywhere in the world including India. In this context some of them shared their personal experiences while living in Nigeria and America.
- 17 December 2013 – Notes on Chai – a play. Club Literati showcased an extremely interesting solo performance “Notes on Chai” by renowned theatre artist Jyoti Dogra from Mumbai on Tuesday, 17th December 2013 at 7pm in Antarang auditorium . The act in Hindi is written, directed and performed by Ms Dogra herself. It is a combination of snippets of sound, silence and verbal exchanges of everyday life over tea that bear traces of common man’s desires, fears and biases.